September meeting minutes

Recorder: 

Erin Warnock

Recorder's Full E-Mail Address: 
Groups audience: 
Date meeting was held: 
Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 2:00pm
Next Meeting Date: 
Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 2:00pm
Location of Next Meeting: 

Chappell Hall room 105

Minutes: 

Present: Bevan Burgamy, Reese Cohn, Coby Dixon, Toi Franks, Jennifer Graham, Liz Havey, Greg Mahan, Jen Maraziti, Beth McCauley, Randy Monnett, Jess Rehling, Erin Warnock
Regrets: Lee Martin, Tracy Norris, Paul Sanford


Called to order at 2:02 p.m.


Treasurer’s Report:


We have $6,017 of $7,000 left in the Staff Development fund. We have $2,684.84 of $3,000 left in the ‘other’ fund. $2,741.61 of $3500 is left in the Foundation account.


University Senate Reports:


Liz gave a report on RPIPC. They are discussing the location of policies and the difficulty of locating them. Faculty is not turning in book orders so classes are operating with no book.


Toi reported on SAPC. They are reviewing the sexual harassment policy. They also discussed the issue with student retention.


Staff Development:


Bevan stated that $983 has been used. A survey was sent on available webinars and very few were applicable. Michael Rickenbaker will be contacted concerning OSHA training for Plant. There will be a list of all upcoming events in one place for Staff Appreciation Week.


Communications:


Jess said all committee blurbs for the newsletter were due by 9/18/11. There were still a few missing so those individuals were notified. Updates have been made on the Staff Council website.


Bylaws:


Beth said that the roster and total number of staff was received from HR for election purposes. They are looking at who rolls off of SC so they know which positions should be filled.


Special Projects:


Reese stated that Tracy was looking into holding a picnic on the lawn at the Old Governor’s Mansion. The following questions were posed:  Who would clean up after? Would tours be available? The committee is also looking into an Athletics Family Night, as an incentive to get people together. The committee will work with Staff Development to start planning Staff Appreciation Week. The idea of sending appreciation notices from Staff Council to people who go above and beyond on campus was brought up. The idea was embraced and everyone is on board with doing “Thank You” post cards at each Staff Council meeting to recognize awesome staff contributions.


Executive updates:


1.       Jen updated SC on the meeting she attended with Erin Warnock, Justin Gaines, Shea Groebner, and two student representatives from SGA. The main crossing problems are ones with no signals, like SAC to Front Campus and the one on Montgomery Street.  Some crosswalks are on “autoped”, which means the lights are on a cycle so that traffic doesn’t back up.  Some solutions would be: rerouting state routes (students could take it on but it isn’t likely to happen); hiring crossing guards (public safety is understaffed but casual labor students could do it); educate the students (SGA will create a video about pedestrian safety)


2.       Jen followed up on the HR question about changing evaluations; brought up at the August 2011 meeting. Carol Ward responded and said that no one should change someone’s evaluation after it has been completed and signed by the employee. Evaluations cannot be changed without a signed addendum that’s on file with HR.


 


The August minutes were approved pending one change: Greg serves on Sustainability Council not Tracy.


 


There was no old business and no new business.


 


The meeting adjourned at 2:42 p.m.