November Staff Council Meeting Minutes

Recorder: 

Bevan Burgamy

Recorder's Full E-Mail Address: 
Groups audience: 
Date meeting was held: 
Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 3:00pm
Next Meeting Date: 
Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 3:00pm
Location of Next Meeting: 

Chappell Hall 113

Minutes: 

Staff Council

November 18, 2010

Minutes

 

Delegates present: Bevan Burgamy, Tammie Burke, Reese Cohn, Toi Franks, Jennifer Graham, Greg Mahan, Jen Maraziti, Janey McDade, Paul Sanford and Erin Warnock.

 

Regrets: Liz Havey, Kim Gore, Tracy Norris, Lori Strawder and Coby Dixon.

 

Guests: Roy Harden, Jennifer Masson, Stephanie Jones, Ellen Paulish and Dorris Johnson.

 

 

Call to order at 3:08.

 

Minutes are approved.

 

Treasurer’s Report

$3,169.26 foundation

$3,495.00 state

For the future we will have one copy of budget reports to pass around.

 

University Senate

RPIPC:

Red flag policy proposal will be presented at the next senate meeting. The policy is to prevent identity theft through personal information, including the bobcat cards used by the students.

 

SAPC:

The amnesty policy is being reworded and they are working on a religious accommodation policy for students so they can be excused for various religious holidays as needed.

 

Staff Development:

Committee meeting was postponed to next week.

Amy Whatley was contacted for staff development ideas in regards to health.

Staff development funds are being used, $2,100 spent so far this year.

 

Communications:

Newsletter is done and Erin Warnock is working on figuring out the template to post it electronically.

 

Bylaws and elections:

Business and finance is now called Administrative Services and Campus Operations.

Staff Council voted on the appropriate changes that would need to take place due to the reorganization in the university. Vote was unanimous.

Lori Strawder is working with Kim Gore on the departmental counts for elections.

 

Plaques have been hung in the Hall House where Human Resources is located.

 

Special Projects:

Potato Drop is this Saturday at the Board of Education parking lot. Staff who come first will receive a coupon for a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. To receive the coupon, find Reese Cohn and Jennifer Graham Saturday morning. It’s a great day of community service and it’s a family oriented event.

 

Executive Committee:

Specific concerns to a department or individual will need to be heard outside of the meetings so normal business can take place.

The information that was received at last month’s meeting has been forwarded to Human Resources and we are awaiting more information.

 

·         Shared Leave Pool vs. Shared Leave Bank:

There would be a couple of changes and the Executive Committee is investigating all of the options and will develop a proposal that will be presented at a future meeting.

 

·         Veterans Association:

There are 95 veterans taking classes on campus. The idea of creating a group for this group of people was passed on to a student senator that was interested in getting that started.

 

·         Staff Council Delegate Recognition:

Normally delegates are not able to be recognized for good, hard work. We are looking at ways to recognize within.

 

·         Holiday Calendar:

We will be asking for a staff council representative to be on the committee that decides the universities holidays.

 

 

Old Business:

State Charitable Contribution ends tomorrow. Please donate if you can. You can give via payroll deduction. 

 

New Business:

Food Pantry:

Last month we decided not to take on a family this holiday season.

Toi contacted Kyle Cullars regarding possible opportunities. Kyle is willing to work with us on a project for a food drive. Can bring 5 cans and eat free in the dining hall. Toi Franks will be in touch with Kyle and will get us more information as she receives it.

Finals week may be a good time, best day would be Friday, December 10th.

Could have boxes throughout the buildings for those who want to donate but not eat.

 

Sustainability Committee:

Stephanie Jones is our rep and she will be coming to each staff council meeting to report.

-          Hertz cars, 2 available for students to use that are available for renting.

-          Getting 2 new buses to campus.

-          Energy: Kevin Murner is looking into the cost savings of using light plate stickers for   reminders to turn out lights. Another option is to install motion censored lights that would turn off when no one is present.

-          An energy audit is being done on campus.

-          Looking into a vending machine auto shut off that would turn off the machine or lights when not in use.

-          Working with IT to look into setting an automatic computer shut down time.

-          The purpose of the committee is being refined with help from administration.

-          Doug Otter asked Pete Shields for a campus box.

-          There are two websites, one is current and one is coming soon.

Current: www.green.gcsu.edu

Coming: www.recycle.gcsu.edu

Staff Council can help by linking their website off of our page.

 

Bobcat Ramble:

They are asking us for volunteers and a contribution from staff council.

Last year we were a silver member which is a $300.

The money goes to a local student for a full scholarship to GCSU. First recipient of the scholarship will be in 2012. Think about the donation options and discuss it fully at the next meeting.

 

Suggestion: It would be helpful to have faculty and staff pictures available for employees to access to help put a name with a face.

 

Paul Sanford reports back that any faculty/staff who bring their bobcat card to the GC games will get in free.

 

Custodial staff wants to meet with staff council at Ennis Hall at 3:00. Jen will get with delegates to put a date out there and the delegates who can come are welcome.

 

Some plant operations staff voiced some further concerns regarding their working situation.

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:04.