July 21- Staff Council Retreat

Recorder: 

Liz Havey

Recorder's Full E-Mail Address: 
Groups audience: 
Location of Next Meeting: 

Chappell Hall 113

Attendance: 

Present:

Lori Strawder, Joe Windish, Toi Franks, Mandy Peacock, Tracy Norris, Jack Hill, Reese Cohn, Tammie Burke, Erin Weston, Coby Dixon, Kim Gore, Jennifer Graham, Janey McDade, Patty Weimer, Jen Maraziti, Liz Havey, Erin Warnock.

Regrets:

Bevan Burgamy and Patti Weimer

Agreements: 

None.

Action Items: 

·        

Toi will update table name plates

·        

BINGO & Human knot icebreakers

·        

Annual Report

o  

No mission statement

§ 

Joe recommends Advocacy, Development, REcognition

o  

See PowerPoint presentation

·        

Bylaws

o  

Changes to committees

o  

Changes to election process (dates, at large members)

·        

Binder

o  

Meetings 3rd Thursday of the month

o  

Delegate listing – any changes or updates should go to Bevan

o  

Key campus contacts for different issues

o  

Basics of staff council

o  

Please review bylaws and familiarize yourself

·        

Goals – Brainstorming: focus on morale boosting & inclusion

o  

Campus connection

§ 

Little traction/interest/response

§ 

Assign connection to new staffer to reach out

§ 

Connection invites new staff to monthly fun night (movie, bowling, etc.)

§ 

Still attend new staff orientation

o  

Facebook – is it useful?

§ 

Develop fan page to disseminate events, programs, updates

§ 

Keep group for delegates only?

o  

Website

§ 

Make committee chairs admins

§ 

Updates frequently

§ 

Include resource lists

o  

Staff Appreciation

o  

Outreach

§ 

Challenges – plant, college of education

§ 

Diversify locations of meetings and events

o  

Plaques need a home

o  

Staff Council “home space”

o  

Customer Service & Morale

o  

Flex time

o  

Collaboration with on and off campus groups

·        

Programming

o  

Movie nights, monthly

o  

Staff softball tournament

o  

Workshops: both personal and work related

o  

Fitness class for staff

o  

Smoking cessation challenge (like biggest loser or something)

o  

Family development: couples ballroom dancing, kid friendly events

o  

SODEXHO promotions

o  

Invitations & events at athletics (like 3 legged race or something)

o  

Monthly staff game nights for athletics

·        

Work with student groups

o  

Spirit, fundraisers, work projects

o  

Table talk for staff

·        

Training for whole campus

·        

Discussion groups

o  

Find out what’s on the minds of our colleagues for training and programming interests

o  

Town hall type meetings for divisions

·        

Wear staff council shirts on meeting and event days

·        

Include team building/icebreaker activities at events

·        

Focus on creating connections and inclusion

·        

Lunch with President Leland

o  

Expecting more budget reductions in early August

o  

Chancellor, so far, is not talking furloughs

§ 

We’ll see after November’s elections

o  

Early retirement buy-outs: not expecting much

§ 

Looking at own program based on GCSU savings

§ 

Need to incentivize

§ 

Should have ideas in place early in fall semester

o  

Community outreach

§ 

Newspaper: weekly GCSU update when school’s in session

§ 

Programs for educational and student development

§ 

Community partners luncheon

§ 

Central State project – training for rural health care providers, connecting them to metro resources, partnerships with schools, agencies, etc.; trying to get a fully developed proposal to the governor in his/her first month in office

o  

Bobcats – 5 on the way, one for West Campus, one for Centennial, one on main campus; are available for any local business to purchase

o  

Insurance – likely still pushing HDHP with incentive seed money for HSA accounts

§ 

Possibly moving to a self-managed Blue Cross program

§ 

Concern of BOR focus on low cost (HDHP & HMO) programs

·        

Problematic in rural areas like Milledgeville where no HMO exists

·        

 making PPO programs too expensive for many staff

§ 

Watching employee premiums

·        

Companies traditionally raise rates 6 – 15%

·        

Wants to hold the employee cost neutral since most employees will not see raises again this year (some faculty may receive market equity raises)

§ 

Looking at long term solutions

§ 

May see higher premiums for smokers

§ 

May see more focus on wellness initiatives (weight, stress, smoking management programs)

o  

Year End Money

§ 

Set aside funds to supplement the stimulus money that is running out

·        

Planned for the worst, but the worst didn’t come

§ 

If we gave back the money, the state would spend it on one time expenditures

·        

We had needs here

·        

Were looking for projects that are strategic to the mission or student health and safety

o  

10% reduction in state agencies?

§ 

GCSU has lost 21% since the start of the recession and may lose up to 10% more (worst case scenario)

§ 

Can make up much of the difference through tuition and formula dollars

§ 

Will not fund permanent projects with temporary money

§ 

Expect budget struggles for two more years

·        

State gets their money from taxes and fees

·        

May change tax code to eliminate some exemptions, which would provide more tax money

o  

Wellness center

§ 

Construction to begin in August

§ 

Approved by 65% of the student body

§ 

Funds for construction are coming from student fees

§ 

Will have limited hours for faculty and staff who pay access fees

§ 

Debate continues on community access with a fee

§ 

Projected completion is late summer, 2011

o  

Ennis

§ 

Still fighting for Ennis construction

§ 

Plans to get architectural drawings to make the project “shovel ready” come fall

§ 

Will house the art department

§ 

Old Art Dept. houses will be used for student services

o  

Sally Davis

§ 

Construction has not begun due to complications in the bid process

§ 

All supplies are purchased and the physical plant will work on the construction

§ 

Should be 80% complete by July

§ 

Will be African American Culture Center

o  

“Come to me and we can work together”

·        

Continued lunch time discussion after Dr. Leland departed

o  

Concern over annual evaluations:

§ 

some departments do not conduct evaluations,

§ 

some do, but processes vary and make some employees uncomfortable

§ 

Recommended a 360 Evaluation process where supervisors and colleagues all have input in the evaluation process

o  

Raise terminology: merit v. cost of living

§ 

Many departments treat raises like cost of living, not merit

§ 

Unclear guidelines reduce morale

§ 

What’s the incentive to go above and beyond if everyone’s recognized the same?

·        

Communication/ Outreach:

o  

meeting with individual custodial shifts

o  

send message out to supervisors early on

o  

discussion groups to focus on program desires and outreach

o  

comment cards taken around to offices on campus the Monday or Tuesday prior to a meeting

o  

Update feedback form on the website to indicate email as an optional field

o  

Need to find campus box for staff council and comment boxes

·        

Committee Assignments and updates

o  

Need a specialized work group to focus on leading discussion groups

o  

Staff Development

§ 

2nd Wednesday at 3PM

§ 

Location TBD

§ 

Toi Franks, Chair

§ 

Members: Jack, Toi, Janey, Tammie

§ 

Projects:

·        

Staff Appreciation Awards

·        

Customer Service/morale

·        

Training programs

·        

Teambuilding at events

·        

Collaboration with community and student groups

§ 

Ideas:

·        

I caught you caring

·        

Lunch and learn with the College of Business

·        

Continuing Ed for Excel, Word, etc.

·        

Customer Service videos from HR

·        

Give aways

·        

Skillpath

·        

Lunch and learn for Facebook

·        

Staff Council Cards

·        

Visit Departments to tie campus

·        

Once a month appreciation by division

o  

Communications

§ 

2nd Thursday at 3PM

§ 

211 Lanier Hall

§ 

Erin Warnock, Chair

§ 

Members: Tracy, Paul, Erin, Liz

§ 

Projects:

·        

Campus Connection

·        

Technology (website/facebook)

·        

Visability/Outreach

·        

Collaboration with community and student groups

§ 

Ideas:

·        

Newsletter

·        

Link it to facebook and website

o  

Bylaws

§ 

Lori Strawder, Chair

§ 

Meeting time & location TBD

§ 

Members: Lori, Kim, Jen

§ 

Projects:

·        

Collaboration with community and student groups

·        

Finding home for staff council and plaques

·        

360 Degree Evaluations

§ 

Ideas:

·        

Help executive committee

·        

Revise employee list

·        

Preparations for elections

o  

Executive

§ 

3rd Thursday at 2PM

§ 

Location TBD

§ 

Jen Maraziti, Chair of Staff Council

§ 

Members: Jen, Bevan, Toi, Tammie

§ 

Projects:

·        

Collaboration with community and student groups

·        

Finding home for staff council and plaques

·        

360 Degree Evaluations

·        

Flex time/Work Release

§ 

Ideas:

·        

Coordinate with HR for BOR mandated Customer Service Training

·        

Revise feedback form to come to the new executive commitee

o  

Special projects

§ 

2nd Friday at 9:30AM

§ 

1st meeting August 5 at 9:30AM in Women’s Resource Center

§ 

All other meetings in the Den

§ 

Jennifer Graham, Chair

§ 

Members: Bevan, Coby, Tammie, Jennifer Graham, Liz

§ 

Projects:

·        

Campus Connection

·        

Staff Appreciation Awards

·        

Customer Service/morale

·        

Monthly programming

·        

Teambuilding at events

·        

Collaboration with community and student groups

§ 

Ideas:

·        

Monthly Service Project

·        

Monthly fun stuff to tie to community (movie night, bowling, etc.)

·        

Monthly staff night at athletic events – games during half-time

·        

Staff Intramurals

·        

Budgets

o  

Staff development fund is $7000 (not the $7500 on the PowerPoint)

o  

Foundation Account is $3500 per year

§ 

Do any leftover funds roll over to the next year?

o  

Check with MidSouth to supplement award value

o  

Send budget requests to exec no later than 1:30PM on August 19

·        

Executive Committee to meet August 19th at 2PM

·        

Next meeting: August 19  at 3PM