December Staff Council Meeting

Recorder: 

Bevan Burgamy

Recorder's Full E-Mail Address: 
Groups audience: 
Date meeting was held: 
Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 3:00pm
Next Meeting Date: 
Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 3:00pm
Location of Next Meeting: 

Museum Education Room

Minutes: 

Staff Council

December 16, 2010

Minutes


Delegates Present: Bevan Burgamy, Tammie Burke, Reese Cohn, Toi Franks, Jennifer Graham, Liz Havey, Jen Maraziti, Janey McDade, Tracy Norris, Paul Sanford, Lori Strawder, and Erin Warnock.
Delegate Regrets: Coby Dixon, Kim Gore, Greg Mahan, and Erin Warnock.
Guests: Wendell Staton.
Call to order at 3:02.

The minutes are unanimously approved.

Treasurer's Report:
State: $3,536.00
Foundation: $3,285.64

Paws for a Cause: Wendell Staton
Large (8ft.) paw imprint will soon be available for purchase by entities on campus to design. The paw prints will be on the pavement surrounding Centennial. The proceeds support the GIVE Center and it will provide a book per month for a year for a Baldwin County child. The hope is for this to start as a new tradition to occur annually.

University Senate Committees:
RPIPC: The president met with RPIPC to go over the budget priorities before holding her budget hearing. The highest priority for the budget will go toward funding (to retain) temporarily funded faculty and staff positions. An open forum was held December 15th at 12 noon in the Museum Education Room.

SAPC: Discussed the religious accommodations policy but there was no quorum and no vote could be made.

Staff Development:
There are no updates on staff using the development funds. The committee met with Amy Whatley and will meet with her again at the beginning of next month to solidify classes/workshops on nutrition to offer through out the year and during Staff Appreciation Week.    

Communications:
The updates to the newsletter from the Executive Committee



Bylaws:
The recount of the divisions occurs every year before elections. Staff Council representative Academic Affairs 5, Administrative Services and Campus Operations 5, Presidents Office, Student Affairs and University Advancement each have 1. 5 delegates need to be replaced during the next election term, 1 Academic Affairs, 3 Administrative Services, and 1 President’s Office. Jennifer Graham and Reese Cohn noticed some missing from the recount for Student Affairs and are helping Lori Strawder with completing the list. This may change the number of delegates for Student Affairs. If that is the case, Student Affairs will need 1 new delegate.
First full week in January to solicit. Officer and Senate elections occur in February.

Proposal to change the wording in the bylaws from six divisions to five divisions. And to remove Institutional Research and Enrollment Management. The vote to approve was unanimous.

Special Projects:
Potato Drop went well, there were not many staff there but the overall event was successful.

Executive Committee:
HR/Diane Update:
Overtime (Plant Operations)

Sick Leave: Pros/Cons:
We currently have a system in place where you solicit sick or vacation for a serious illness that directly affects the employee (themselves). HR brought to our attention of the Shared Leave Poole process. Each individual would elect to participate during open enrollment. The minimum to donate would be 8 hours per year. If you don't donate, you cannot receive money from the program. We could write in our policy the availability to donate sick and vacation.

Concern: Chronically ill people who may not be able to donate to participate.
Concern: Requests that would cross over multiple years.

Jen will meet with Diane to discuss the points mentioned. The hope is to get this off the ground and running. Suggestion to get feedback from multiple entities on campus such as faculty.   

Email List Serves: Suggestion to get to Harry Batson to change blanket announcements to the campus to be a general email and not specifically from Erin Warnock. Email name suggestion Email Notice. Jen will email Harry Batson and offer the suggestion.

Meeting Relocation: Museum Education Room will be the new location starting next month and will continue through the fiscal year.

Faculty/Staff Pictures: The Bobcat Card office’s agreement with the bobcat cards is that information linked to the card, including the picture is confidential information.

Holidays: Can we be a part of the committee that decides the holidays the university participates in? There is nothing that will happen before 2011 but the issue is being addressed and more information is to come.

Old Business:
Bobcat Ramble- no updates. We will discuss at the next meeting the sponsorship level staff council would like to submit for the Bobcat Ramble.

New Business:
School Supply Drive- to start the first of the year and Sodexho is willing to partner with us however we may need them.     

Meeting adjourned at 4:10.