GCSU Staff Council Minutes February 22, 2007

Staff Council

These minutes submitted by: Maria E. Gordon on 2/23/07 at 10:34 AM.
Next meeting: Thursday, 3/8/07, 2:00, 211 Lanier Hall


Staff Council meeting
Thursday, February 22, 2007
2:00 p.m., Museum Education Room

Present: Maria Gordon, Karen Higgs, Patti Weimer, Lilia Biktyakova, Janie Dunn, Toi Franks, Julia Huprich, Neil Jones, Lee Snelling, Stacey Milner, Monica Wood, Keeno Weaver, Gina Peavy, Lori Watson, Jamie Wright, Vicki Folendore, Jen Maraziti, Virginia Simmons, Lori Strawder, Clyde Boone, Jr., Judith Sanders, Joe Windish, and Ruby Griffin

Absent: Ben Holcombe

Guests: Carol Brown, Greg Brown, and Stephen Houser

Call to Order: Gina Peavy called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m.

Approval of Minutes: A motion was made, seconded, and approved to accept the minutes of the January meeting as written.

Committee Reports:
a) Staff Development (Neil Jones): In anticipation of year-end budget requests, Neil will work with Janie Dunn to set a deadline for requesting staff development funds.
b) Staff Excellence (Julia Huprich): The next award ceremony is tentatively scheduled for April 26 at 9:00. Monica Wood will confirm the location.
c) New Employee Mentoring (Lori Watson): The committee met on February 6. Campus Connections now has a budget of $500 thanks to a generous donation by the GCSU Foundation. The pilot program is set to roll out July 2007.
d) Treasurer•s Report (Karen Higgs): The balance in the general account is $3262.05. The balance in the foundation account is $1928.25.

Reports from Chairperson:
a) Proposed changes to Senate bylaws (Gina Peavy): Given the length of today•s agenda, J.W. Good and Craig Turner asked that Gina compile a list of questions we may have regarding the proposed bylaw changes. She will forward them to J.W. Good and Craig Turner.
b) Bobcat Ramble (Gina Peavy): Gina reminded those who volunteered to speak to local PTAs to pick up Bobcat Ramble applications.

Old business:
None

New business:
a) Officer elections: Paper ballots were distributed and tallied. The results are:
Chair-Elect: Karen Higgs
Senior Member-at-Large: Monica Wood
Junior Member-at-Large: Stacey Milner
Secretary: Maria Gordon
Treasurer: Jamie Wright
Chair, Nominations & Elections: Patti Weimer
b) 10-10-10 program (Jamie Wright): The GIVE Center is challenging staff to participate in the 10-10-10 program. An information handout was available for those who are interested.
c) Dr. Seuss birthday celebration (Jamie Wright & Julia Huprich): The GIVE Center and the Library would like Staff Council to participate in the collection of children•s books in celebration of Dr. Seuss• birthday. Each area is encouraged to display a collection box. Recommended texts may be viewed at http://www2.gcsu.edu/library/events/drseussbday/seussbirthday.html.
d) UGA TAP ad-hoc committee report (Gina Peavy): The details surrounding the committee and its concerns aren•t clear at this time. Gina will speak to the state UGA representative at tomorrow•s State Staff Council meeting and report her findings back to Staff Council.
e) Staff survey (Gina Peavy): Please solicit potential survey questions from your area and forward to Gina by close of business on March 7. Based on this input, Gina will provide a draft of the survey at our March meeting.
f) Ad-hoc committee • University Senate Staff representative selection (Gina Peavy): A motion was made and seconded to form an ad-hoc committee to determine criteria for selecting staff representatives for University Senate. The following delegates volunteered to serve on this committee: Karen Higgs, Virginia Simmons, Lee Snelling, Stacey Milner, Lori Strawder, Gina Peavy, and Julia Huprich.
g) Handicap parking (Monica Wood): Monica shared a concern a staff member had with the current handicap parking situation. Greg Brown advised that the committee that drafted the current parking plan had disassembled. Parking & Transportation will form a new Parking task force committee some time after Spring Break to address parking concerns. The committee will have representation from faculty, staff, and students. Handicap parking is an issue that will be addressed by this committee. The Office of Institutional Equity is also working in conjunction with Physical Plant, Parking & Transportation, and Health Services to address ADA issues.
h) Computer training for Physical Plant (Toi Franks): Human Resources recently completed a basic computer training class for Physical Plant employees. If enough interest is expressed, the next training class is scheduled for Tuesday, 2/27/07. Staff Council is being asked to support this training.
i) Parks Halls restrooms (Lilia Biktyakova): A concern was raised regarding the current condition of the restrooms in Parks Hall. Given the high volume of traffic from prospective students & parents, there is a need for the remodeling of these facilities. It was determined this request should be generated from the Building Manager of Parks Hall and flow through the proper budget request channels.
j) Parking Appeals Committee: Additional staff members are needed for the Parking Appeals Committee. Interested individuals are advised to contact Greg Brown at greg.brown@gcsu.edu.

Adjournment:
The meeting was adjourned at 3:05 p.m. Regularly scheduled meetings are: March 8 and May 17. All meetings are scheduled for 2:00. Other meetings may be added as needed and regularly scheduled meetings may be changed in the event of scheduling conflicts.


Posting complete.
Click HERE to return to the GCSU Staff Council Minutes Menu.

Groups audience: